Sunday, April 25, 2010

TV Cold Turkey

Well, we haven't had a tv since moving into the place, so we've been cold turkey with a small portable DVD player and the web to help us along. CP pretty much commandeered the DVD player, so it's off to the web for the LW and I, but it's been good. Tonight they went to see an IMAX 3D movie about training dragons with Uncle Richard and Eli; a good time was had by all.

I got to stay home and enjoy some quiet time. I heard KPR Presents this afternoon as I moved out of one room and passed the living room where the radio was on. A poet was on the radio and I stopped to listen for a minute and was hooked. It was wonderful. Real, easy, rural stories told by, what I considered to be a master within seconds of hearing him speak. I found out after the program that it was Ted Kooser. He evidently read some of his work at the Oread Hotel over in RockChalkJayhawkville not too long ago and I guess this was a recording of some of it. I was bummed to find that we'd missed it. Sometimes I read poetry without sidenotes and it doesn't really connect me with anything or anyone. Mr. Kooser was discussing his poetry and after hearing his thoughts on it, I felt connected to it; as if the grandmother he speaks about in "Dishwater" was my great grandmother. I can almost hear her shoes on that old wood floor in his poem.

I'm thankful that I don't have a TV because I would have surely missed this. My great grandmother was an amazing person. Raising a houseful of kids as a widow in the depression=tough. She always enjoyed my brother and I being around. She got a kick out of seeing how fast we'd dart in to see whether it was sugar cookies or peanut brittle in the dining room. Good stuff, memories and poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment